SMC is seeking up to 3 interns to work in few high priority watersheds this summer. Interns will spend time in the field and office under the guidance of SMC staff. All positions will allow the interns to apply classroom experiences to real world applications by collecting data for later analysis both by the interns and SMC staff. These positions will also expose the interns to many aspects of watershed planning at SMC, a countywide watershed planning and regulatory agency.
Stream Inventories (2 Positions Available)
High priority stream(s) will be divided up into reaches and a standardized stream inventory assessment will be completed for each reach. Two interns work as a team to collect the stream data. The stream inventory will assess channel conditions, structures in the river such as bridges, pipes draining to the river and habitat available in the stream.
Detention Basin Inventories (1 Position Available)
One intern will perform a standardized detention basin inventory on basins located in one or two high priority watersheds. After completing the inventory, the intern will enter the inventory data into an Access database. Although primarily designed for flood reduction, well designed and properly functioning detention basins can provide multiple benefits including water quality improvement. The objective of this inventory is to measure and assess current conditions noting maintenance needs and opportunities to improve the water quality, flood mitigation and habitat functions of the basins.
- Graduate of, or current student in, a 2 or 4 year higher education program with an emphasis on engineering, environmental science, biology or related field.
- Applicants must be able to work both inside and outside in variable conditions and be willing to engage in limited to moderately strenuous physical activity.
- Applicants must be able to use Microsoft Office software, especially Microsoft Access.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software is highly desirable but not required.
- Applicants must have their own transportation for traveling to and from field sites.
- Class credit may be available for these internships; please check with your academic advisor.
Submit a cover letter and resume to Jeff Laramy at email@example.com OR:
Lake County Stormwater Management Commission
500 West Winchester Rd
Libertyville, IL 60048