Be prepared for your next career move: Foresight Career Innovation Seminar.
The Adler Planetarium has an opportunity available in the Experience Development department for a full time Associate Director of Design. The Associate Director of Design oversees the day to day management of the graphic design group. This would include feedback, oversight, and assisting in problem solving with various designers. This position oversees various aspects of the visual design for both ongoing institutional design projects and capital projects. This position will advise outside contractors, art direct and design both independently and under the direction of the Director of Experience Design. The Associate Director will advocate for compelling design while working within necessary financial and content constraints.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mentor, coach, evaluate, art direct and supervise a team of designers and assist in hiring and liaising with outside contractors as needed.
- Advocate for quality design across media, visual brand consistency and the methodologies to implement these across media.
- Ensure work is prepared on time in accordance with schedules, and on or below budget.
- Graphic design for exhibits and signage. Includes layout, basic project management, and aesthetic choices.
- Graphic design for print materials.
- Professional Development and Research.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, industrial or other field of design.
- MFA in Design preferred
- 5+ years of Graphic experience; working on teams in various capacities, various aspects of overall design including designing to specific goals, working with typography, photography, illustration, color specification, etc.
- Experience in museums, exhibit or signage design, interactive interface design preferred
- Art direction, graphic design, project management, information design
- Exhibit fabrication knowledge preferred
- Working knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Suite, printing techniques and operations of printers
- CAD or other 3D program knowledge preferred
Online application here.