Be prepared for your next career move: Foresight Career Innovation Seminar.
The Natural Resources Department has one (1) seasonal position available for the 2013 summer season.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the field staff with natural areas management tasks including, but not limited to exotic species management, sign posting, seed harvesting for on-going restoration activities.
- Assist the field staff in restoration assessment and planning.
- Assist District staff with vegetation inventories, plant identification, site mapping, and data collection leading to the preparation of typed summaries, graphed and charts detailing plant community assessments.
- Assist staff with biological research projects such as rare plant monitoring, tree-core study, and monitor reptile populations.
- Assist with District-wide Garlic Mustard Management (weed-whipping & herbiciding).
- Assist with District-wide Purple Loosestrife Management (herbiciding).
- Work independently on seed collecting & processing..
- Participate in planting & seeding projects.
- Must be a full-time college student or a recent graduate from an accredited school with one-year minimum course work in biology, botany, environmental science or education or related field.
- Computer skills – experience with common computer software including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions (including exposure to allergens, heat, humidity, biting insects, and poisonous plants).
- Possess a working knowledge of the flora of northeastern Illinois and familiarity with the characteristics of regional woodland, prairie and wetland communities. Understanding of a broad range of ecological concepts and a willingness to learn in a variety of settings.
- Experience with or a willingness to learn safe operation of gas powered weed whips.
- Enthusiastic, courteous, positive attitude and team spirit.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Current and valid Illinois driver’s license that is free from suspension or revocation during term of employment; must maintain insurability with the District’s fleet carrier.
How to Apply:
All candidates must apply on-line here. Must include a resume and two (2) letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation can be mailed separately to:
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
1996 South Kirk Road, Suite 320
Geneva, IL 60134
Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, may include evenings, weekends & holidays. Salary: $8.25/hour