Be prepared for your next career move: Foresight Career Innovation Seminar.
About Active Transportation Alliance:
The Active Transportation Alliance is a 501c (3) non-profit organization that advocates for sustainable transportation throughout the Chicago metro region. Active Trans’ mission is to make bicycling, walking and public transit safe, convenient and fun. We advocate for transportation that encourages and promotes safety, physical activity, health, recreation, social interaction, equity, environmental stewardship and resource conservation. We envision the region with half as many traffic crashes and where half of all trips are made by walking, biking and transit.
The Chicago Department of Public Health and Chicago Public Schools (CPS) received a grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to support the launch of Healthy CPS, a comprehensive initiative aimed at improving the health and well-being of Chicago’s students. As part of this initiative Active Transportation Alliance has been contracted to facilitate Safe Routes to Schools (SRTS) in the district through September 2014. The SRTS program seeks to encourage and enable children to safely walk or bicycle to school. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Education and Outreach, the Safe Routes to School Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the broad implementation of SRTS in CPS. The SRTS Coordinator will help disseminate active transportation materials and implement SRTS actions plans in CPS elementary schools. The Coordinator will develop Safe Routes Action Plans for schools (75% in communities with high levels of healthy disparities) and deliver in-depth parent, student, teacher and administrator trainings to implement the
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Education team to develop SRTS materials including presentations, training, and collateral materials Identify and secure agreements with a minimum of 25 CPS elementary schools for SRTS
- Conduct pre-intervention school travel surveys and convene 3 focus groups with students, parents, and school administrators for participating schools
- Work with school stakeholders (students, parents, teachers, administrators, etc.) to create Safe Routes Action Plans for 25 schools
- Provide SRTS training for students in participating schools
- Provide technical assistance and train school administrators, Local School Councils, parents and teachers on how to implement key Safe Routes Action Plan strategies and work toward implementing active transportation curriculum into CPS curriculum
- Train and work with teachers to conduct program evaluations
- Work with the Education Team to coordinate and support International Walk and Bike to School Day activities
- Document SRTS project activities, milestones, and progress toward deliverables
- Regularly create SRTS project status updates and assist Director of Education and Outreach develop reports to project funders.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate and assist in larger organizational initiatives and events
- Represent Active Trans’ advocacy efforts to other organizations, groups and governmental entities.
- Excellent coordination, public speaking, and presentation skills
- Basic understanding of active and sustainable transportation issues and familiarity with safe bicycling and pedestrian practices
- Must be able to write clearly and proficiently
- Proven ability to work with persons of diverse economic and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to interact effectively and build relationships with community and government leaders, school officials and teachers, parents, students, transportation professionals and police officials
- Knowledge of Windows based computer systems, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and e-mail software required
- Must be able to efficiently travel to and from meetings throughout the city of Chicago using walking, biking and public transportation
- Ability to attend frequent evening and/or weekend meetings required
- Able to speak and write fluently in Spanish
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Project management experience
- Experience convening and facilitating focus groups and/or committees
- Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org You must include the words “SRTS Coordinator” in the subject line. Electronic submissions only, no mailed or faxed submissions will be considered.
Salary and Benefits:
The Active Transportation Alliance offers a competitive salary based upon experience and skills as well as a progressive benefit program that includes health, dental and retirement options.
February 1, 2013
This is a full-time position ending no later than September 30, 2014. The position will be based at the Active Transportation Alliance office in Chicago’s River North community, but it includes extensive travel throughout the city of Chicago.
This position is open until filled.
The Active Transportation Alliance is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.